What is Spray Foam Insulation?
Details Insulation is a CUFCA licensed spray foam insulation installer, and offers spray foam insulation solutions for residential, commercial, and industrial clients.
For residential spray foam applications, we exclusively use Polarfoam PF-7300-0 Soya (Polarfoam). Polarfoam is an environmentally friendly, high performance, closed cell rigid polyurethane foam used for insulation, and is spray applied exclusively by CUFCA certified applicators.
Because spray foam insulation is applied as a liquid and then expands to 20-30 times its initial volume, it is the best way to ensure that every single crack, gap, and void is perfectly sealed. Because the majority of heat in your home is lost in via air leakage, spray foam is the best choice for insulation as it becomes an air barrier at only ¼”. This makes spray foam the best choice for hard to seal areas like: rim joist ends, bonus room floors, vaulted ceilings, and cantilevers. A typical wall will have over 3” of foam and the foam acts as a 3 in 1 insulation system that stops air movement, vapor transfer and over 95% of conductive heat loss. Spray foam insulation is the best insulation available today.
Spray Foam Insulation
- An All-in-One system that provides thermal insulation, air barrier, and vapor barrier all in one application.
- Can be applied to almost any surface
- Is a durable, proven, high efficiency insulation system
- Dramatically improves building efficiency and lowers utility bills
- Seals out dust and pollen
- Offers a healthier, cleaner environment in your home
- Increases the strength of a wall by over 300%
- Offers the highest R-Value of any insulation
- Is unaffected by environmental factors like air temperature and wind that reduce the R-Value of conventional fiberglass or cellulose insulation
Polarfoam PF-7300-0 SOYA Spray Foam Insulation
- Made with recycled plastic bottles (an average sized home will have over 4000 recycled bottles in the spray foam)
- Made with renewable soya bean oil
- Is a Zero Ozone depleting substance
- Is Greenguard certified for indoor air quality
- Conforms to LEED program requirements
- Does not contain any fibers, loose particles, VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) or CFCs (Chloro Fluoro Carbons)
While it is ideal to install spray foam in a new construction application, it can also be applied in almost any renovation where the area that needs to be insulated is exposed.
Closed Cell Spray Foam Insulation
Combines insulation, air, and vapor barrier into one spray applied product.
Independent laboratory tests confirm the on site long term thermal performance (LTTR) of Polarfoam increases the thermal performance of the building envelope. Polarfoam offers the highest R-Value and LTTR or any insulation on the market.
Research shows that over 40% of heat lost from a building can be attributed to air leakage through the building envelope. Tests for air leakage, conducted by an independent laboratory recognized by CCMC, show that Polarfoam exceeds the requirements of an air barrier by over 500 times. It only takes ¼” of Polarfoam to stop air movement. By creating a seamless air barrier and elimination air infiltration, Polarfoam eliminates the possibility for condensation to build up in a wall that can often result in mold, mildew and eventual wall degradation of the wall.
Water vapor permeance is the speed at which water moves through a homogenous material. The National Building Code stipulates that an approved vapor barrier must have a water vapor permeance of less than 1.05 PERM. When applied at 2” on drywall, Polarfoam achieves a rating of 0.77 PERM and 0.38 PERM when applied to concrete. When you choose to use our closed cell spray foam in your building, you will not need to use a conventional plastic sheet vapor. In order to pass inspection and ensure you eliminate air leakage in your building, you’ll need to caulk all the seams of the studs that do not have insulation behind them. We can do this for you, and in most cases it is included in your estimate.
View our Spray Foam Insulation FAQs page for more information.